Everything changes when a chronic illness or disability enters a marriage.
Everything changes when a chronic illness or disability enters a marriage – ideas of “quality” time, the way spouses communicate, what they communicate about, their thoughts of equality or shared responsibilities, how they spend their time and money. Every aspect of the marriage may be impacted by the long-term illness of one of the spouses.
According to one report, 75% of marriages plagued by a chronic illness have the potential for ending in divorce. The stress of a chronic illness can be challenging to a marriage, even when two people have been deeply in love for decades.
Join us for a one-day conference that celebrates the joys of marriage, is realistic about the difficulties, and values the promises made to each other.
- Identify the major threats to a marriage dealing with a chronic illness.
- Discover the 5 essentials every couple needs for a strong marriage relationship.
- Leave with effective tools for addressing stress, anger, intimacy, and caregiver issues.
- Hear the experiences of others that can help a couple build a strong, healthy marriage.
- “Minefields in the Chronic Illness Marriage”
- “5 Essentials for a Strong Marriage”
- “Dealing with Stress in the Chronic Illness Marriage”
- “Can We Talk?”
- “Build a Stronger Marriage…Together”
Comments from Participants:
- “Very glad we came. Overall, the seminar exceeded my expectations.”
- “Much practical advice. The honest, real examples were so helpful.”
- “It was wonderful to hear from people actually living the situation.”
- “This conference was very informative and presented in a comfortable, first person manner that made it relatable.”
- “The seminar far exceeded my expectations. It was very insightful, practical, had a variety of presenters, had time for couples to talk to one another, and good group interaction.”
- “Thank you for choosing to invest in our marriages. This was way more than we thought it would be.”
- “This was an incredibly helpful and informative conference!”
- “This was a wonderful blessing. It was the first time we felt like someone ‘got it.’ And THAT is an enormous gift.”
who should attend?
- Couples with one or both spouses diagnosed with a chronic illness and/or disability.
- Couples with a child having a chronic illness or disability and want to keep their marriage strong and healthy.
- Any couple who wants to protect their marriage from the negative effects of a chronic illness or the aging process.
- Marriage mentors, counselors, pastors, and others who want to learn more about helping couples with a chronic illness.
- Individuals and couples who find themselves thinking, “This is more than I bargained for!”
- Advance Registration through October 3, 2014:
$20 per person
Walk-in registration: $25 per person
(Registration fee includes program materials and continental breakfast.)
- We have done our best to keep the cost of this conference as reasonable as possible. However, we don’t want cost to be a barrier to couples attending. We do have limited financial assistance is available. Please send an email request to email@example.com or call 603-692-4895.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: We are willing to refund a paid registration fee through September 28
, 2014. After that date, we will NOT be able to make any refunds for any reason due to financial obligations we make based on registered participants. Your registration is transferable to another couple or can be applied to a future Family Builders event.
- You may bring your own lunch or purchase a lunch in the hospital dining room.
|9:00 a.m.||Doors Open/Registration/Check-in|
|9:30||“Minefields in the Chronic Illness Marriage”|
|10:45||“5 Essentials for a Stronger Marriage“|
|12:45 p.m.||“Dealing with Stress in the Chronic Illness Marriage”|
|1:55||“Can We Talk?“|
|3:00 p.m.||Conference Concludes|
Schedule is subject to adjustments.
Willie Batson, MA – President, Family Builders Ministries
Willie and Cindy Batson have been married since 1972, are the parents of two married daughters, and have five grandchildren. Cindy was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis more than 22 years ago.
Willie is the Founder/President of Family Builders Ministries, a New England-based non-profit organization with an international outreach. Every week finds Cindy and Willie coaching couples preparing for marriage, maximizing their marriage, or repairing their marriage.
Willie’s first book, Tools for a Great Marriage, was published in 2008 and is now in its third printing. The Batsons are currently working on a second book specifically for couples dealing with a chronic illness or disability in their marriages. Read more about the Batsons here…
Cindy Batson’s participation may be limited due to her illness.
Other guest speakers are invited to speak about their experiences.
Garrison Wing Conference Center
789 Central Ave
Dover, NH 03820